Monday, January 5, 2009

Meatless Monday

Happy New Year!  I'm in the midst of taking down the decorations and wanted to comment on how much I liked with the LED lights I used this season.  Unlike strands I'd purchased two seasons ago, the newer lights I got this year were easy to find and reasonably priced.  I was pleased with the brightness of the lights, although the white-only strands had either a blue or green cast to them.  What I found incredible was that each strand used so little energy that the manufacturers allowed 43 strands to be hooked together, compared to a maximum of three strands of incandescent lights.  That completely solved the extension cord problem that I've had in the past.

Did you know that eating lentils at the new year is supposed to bring you prosperity?  A quick online search reveals this custom began with the ancient Romans, possibly because lentils resemble small coins.  The following is a recipe I've been using for over 30 years and is a family favorite.  It is adapted from the More-with-Less Cookbook which I stumbled upon as a new bride and, thankfully, taught me how to really cook "from scratch".

Baked Lentils with Cheese
serves 6
375° for 1 hr., 15 min.

Combine in shallow 9 x 13" baking dish:
1 3/4 c. lentils, rinsed
2 c. water
1 whole bay leaf
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. each  dried marjoram, sage, thyme
2 large onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. canned tomatoes (approx. one 14 ounce can)
Cover tightly and bake 30 minutes.  Uncover and stir in:
2 large carrots, sliced 1/8" thin
2 stalks thinly sliced celery
Bake covered 40 minutes until vegetables are tender.  Sprinkle on top:
3 c. shredded cheddar cheese
Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes until cheese melts.