Thursday, June 5, 2008

BUGS!!


     Things had been going so well in the garden.  I've been focusing my attention on the big picture--thinking about the hardscaping and landscaping that would give me the bones I need to start moving the overgrown clumps of perennials left by the previous owner.  All that overcrowding really stresses the plants and, this week, I've had some major infestations of aphids and (I think) flea beetles.  Naturally, I'm looking for organic pest control methods to wage war on these nasties.  The aphids are easy to get rid of with a strong blast of water.  My preferred method, however, is soaking the area with a spray of soapy water.  I always mix it on the fly so I don't have exact measurements.  You can see the dead aphids on the picture above--no live green aphids were to be found two days later.
     The flea beetles are trickier to get rid of since they love the crowded conditions and undisturbed soil.  If you look closely, you can see the telltale tiny holes they leave.  The good news is that they are most harmful on tender young transplants and my established clumps of Black-eyed Susans should survive.  Organic Gardening gives a very thorough explanation of their lifecycle and ways to limit their damage.  I've also found a few blister beetles which are black and yellow, much like the cucumber beetle and they make bigger holes.  This month's Organic Gardening Magazine gives a recipe for an all-purpose spray which, they say, works on a multitude of pests, including slugs and Japanese beetles:  
Chop 1 garlic bulb and 1 small onion in a blender.  Add 1 teaspoon powdered cayenne pepper and 1 quart water.  Steep for 1 hour, then strain through cheesecloth.  Add 1 Tablespoon liquid dish soap so the spray sticks to the plant leaves.  Mix well.  Spray the mixture on both sides of the leaves.  Store remaining spray in a labeled jar in the fridge. Note:  certain plants are very sensitive to soaps and can develop leaf burn.  Always test on a leaf or two the day before spraying the whole plant.