Thursday, May 29, 2008

Easy Composting

I have been composting since I moved to Mountain Lakes. I have to admit that my original motive was more about saving those expensive green garbage bags than saving the earth. I can’t say I had the support of my family in this endeavor; they thought I was a little nuts. I chose to ignore them and my investment in a compost tumbler has paid off in what can only be described as beautiful dirt!
     I was intimidated at first because I read that you have to use a certain ratio of “brown” material to “green” material. Some to the information gets so detailed that it seems daunting. I just wanted to get rid of some of my garbage for free so I decided not to think too hard about carbon/nitrogen ratios and just started tossing my kitchen scraps and leaves in and gave the tumbler a turn every so often. Well, as the saying goes (sort of) “Compost Happens!” Sometimes it was a little wet and smelly, so I added brown leaves which tend to be plentiful in my yard regardless of the season.
     There are many ways to compost. Some people just have piles or areas separated with chicken wire; others build their own bins. It seemed easiest to go with something pre-made and there are many styles of compost bins and tumblers on the market. While these do require an initial cash outlay, you will still end up ahead in the long run when you add your home made dirt to your garden. Compost will improve the texture of your soil and will increase its ability to retain water. The organic matter in the compost provides food for microorganisms which keeps the soil in healthy balanced condition, reducing or eliminating the need for extra fertilizers.
     Kitchen scraps are ideal for composting. They are high in nitrogen which helps heat up the compost and speed up the process. It is helpful to keep a container in your kitchen to throw in egg shells, coffee grounds, fruit and vegetable peels…really anything that does not have bones, fat or oil (i.e., no meat). Empty the container into your compost as it fills up, Now that summer’s here I toss in melon rinds and they disappear! Large pieces will take longer to compost than small ones so if you want your garbage to disappear more quickly cut it into smaller pieces. You can also compost dryer lint, pet hair, newspapers and cardboard egg cartons.
     Oxygen is needed to move the breakdown process along. If you’re using a tumbler, give it a spin a few times a week. Piles and bins need to be mixed regularly.  Compost needs to be moist; however, if it is too wet, it will smell bad!! If you find that your compost is wet and smelly, add more “brown materials” which include dry leaves, straw or wood chips. If the compost seems too dry, add the green materials which are the kitchen scraps and grass clippings.
     That’s all you have to do! If you prefer to understand the science behind it and get your brown to green ratios just right, there are many websites that will provide all the information you’re looking for and more. Here is a
Compost Guide and another website with great information.
     Remember, composting not only saves your green garbage bags, it also saves the earth by reducing the amount of garbage going to the landfills. Use your garbage for the good of your garden! It’s a win-win situation.