Monday, November 26, 2007

New Jersey Clean Power Choice Program

Last month at a meeting, the discussion turned toward ways that we could start implementing green practices. I was interested in finding something I could do right away that had a big impact on the environment. Someone was talking about a League member who asked her husband to buy cleaner energy as her birthday gift. I was intrigued! I didn't know that New Jersey offered renewable power sources (obviously, I fast forward through commercials on t.v. and don't look at those inserts in my bills!)

I asked some energy-savvy friends to enlighten me. Apparently 45% of our electricity is provided by coal burning plants and available renewable energy can come from solar, wind, hydroelectric or biomass sources. These benefit our environment and health and developing these alternatives will guarantee energy for the future because we won't have to rely on fossil fuels that may one day be depleted. They also explained that, although these types of energy cost more to produce right now because the technology is new, as more and more people request renewable energy, costs will fall. I balked at spending more for electricity until Margaret explained that the 14% increase (based on current rates) is equivalent to one or two lattes a week! I shouldn't drink so much coffee anyway.

I broached the topic with my husband. I really thought I'd have a hard time selling him on the idea but he agreed right away. Then I went to NJCleanPower.com
, read about the different alternative energy providers and clicked on the link for the one I chose. I did need my account number which was on my electric bill. SIMPLE! It only took about ten minutes and for the price of a latte or two, I'm helping our kids have a healthier future!