Friday, November 7, 2008

A Greener Cuppa Joe



Jeana drinks a lot of coffee! She always has a pot going in the kitchen but recently saw something on a website about energy usage and coffee makers. This website estimated that the average homeowner wasted $200 a year keeping coffee warm, this doesn’t include the cost of brewing the coffee. Her solution – use a Thermos to keep the coffee warm. Now she brews a pot of coffee, then transfers the liquid to the Thermos and unplugs the coffee pot. She has hot coffee all day and some extra money in her pocket!

She also started buying coffee from an organization called Grounds for Change. They sell organic, fair trade, shade grown coffees and are members of 1% for the Planet. The coffee she uses is grown by a women’s co-op. The only downer is that the coffee is shipped from Poulsbo Washington, which is adding to carbon emissions but she tries to offset this by buying a large quantity at a time (10-15 pounds).

I've been wrestling with this issue for several years. I first switched to a single-serve brewer but didn't like all the used pods it created. When that broke, I switched to a brewer that let me fill my own pod which was messy and that machine broke because the instructions stated that the machine had to be left on all day which I didn't do. I also became concerned about the water being in contact with plastic. This summer I switched to using a french press. This method brews excellent coffee and only requires the energy used to boil the water (on the stove or electric kettle). It can also be used to brew tea. According to
Ideal Bite, about $400 million goes to electricity used for coffeemakers in the US. I've been getting my coffee from the SmartWorld shop in Denville.