Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Give your clothes a vacation

....from the dryer!  Summer is the perfect time to reduce your carbon footprint by using solar power to dry your clothes.  According to the State of California, the use of a clothesline can save 1,000 mw/day of electricity and they are encouraging residents to use clotheslines to help prevent brownouts there.  They estimated that by hanging out just 1/4 of your laundry, you'll save $30 per year.  The EPW Blog states, " There were more than 88 million dryers in the US in 2005. 'If all Americans line-dried for just half a year, it would save 3.3% of the country’s total residential output of carbon dioxide, experts say.' 3.3%! That’s huge if you think about how much CO2 all the households in the US emit. As for the impact on the wallet, the average clothes dryer costs about $160/yr to run. "

Other benefits of hanging out:  clothes smell great, less shrinkage, the sun kills germs, and clothes last longer (all that lint is worn-away fabric).  I like it because I'm more aware of the outdoors--I have to be aware of the pollen count and plan for rain, although I do have lines strung in my basement for winter use.

I use an umbrella style clothesline which doesn't sag the way a line stretched from tree to tree does.   Generally, I hang clothes upside down to prevent clothespin marks on my shoulders and things I don't want to fade get turned inside-out.  I fold right off the line to smooth out any wrinkles but dressier clothes might need 2 to 3 minutes in the dryer on the "wrinkle release" setting.  More tips can be found on the GardenWeb which has forums on all sorts of interesting topics!