Monday, April 28, 2008

Cow Pots!


If you’re like me, you’ve been chomping at the bit to get some plants into the ground. I know we have to wait until Mother’s Day to reliably put things out, but I always start plants from seed in the early spring. Usually, by Mid March I have to start working on my garden. I have always bought peat pots to start my seeds. They are very convenient, natural, and bio-degradable. Imagine my shock when I heard that they are not the most environmentally friendly option. According to a source I found online, approximately 60% of the world's wetlands are peat. Peatlands cover a total of around 3% of global land mass. About 7% of this total has been exploited for agriculture and forestry, with significant environmental repercussions. I wanted to continue my practice of planting early, but didn’t want to contribute to the demise of peat bogs. I found another option while searching on Organic Gardening, my favorite website for all things gardening. Environmentally-friendly CowPots are dairy fiber pot. CowPots are a 100% American-made product, made from a wholesome, renewable resource – can you guess what that resource is? These pots can be planted directly into soil and they will fully decompose with no throw-away. Cowpots actually attract beneficial earthworms! CowPots grow sturdier, healthier plants and encourage root development while adding soil-conditioning natural nutrients to your garden. They are odor-free and non-toxic. Green benefits of CowPots: reduces non-recyclable plastics, reduces municipal waste, promotes recycling of agricultural waste to horticultural benefit, doesn’t exploit sensitive peatlands. Go to mastergardening.com to buy.