Saturday, March 15, 2008

Spring Break

I haven't posted much here in the past month.  One reason is that my friends and I (who make up the Household group of the Green Community Project) have been starting to research the next series of blog entries.  We're interested in greening our yards, (literally!) by using sustainable practices--so stay tuned!

Another reason for my absence is my family's Spring break trip.  Our kids are getting older and they live all over the country.  Getting together is difficult and I miss them so much!  Luckily we were able to fly to sunny Arizona, on mom & dad's nickel of course, and we had a wonderful time in a locale that was new to all of us.

Still, in the back of my mind, was a mention of carbon offsets that my friend, Nicole, made when talking about her family's trip this fall.  I had never heard of that phrase and asked her about it.  Carbon offsets are little shares of energy saving investments that folks can purchase to offset energy you are using.   That concept didn't mean much to me until I participated in the League's Carbon Survey that I mentioned earlier in this blog.  I was shocked to see that my seemingly limited travel habits were the major contributor to my carbon footprint.  As a result, I am now researching the different carbon offset companies and plan to purchase offsets for our recent trip.  My Googling turned up this interesting interview in Treehugger with the founder of Climate Care (an offset provider).  Purchasing offsets seems to be like donating to charities--you need to do your research and find one that fits your beliefs.

Edit:  since I posted this, I received an email from Laurel who has done a TON of research on this topic.  She offers a link to a chart with many examples of companies that will allow a consumer to purchase offsets and a comparison between companies.  Signing up with any of these programs might effectively reduce your CO2 contributions to ZERO!  Additionally, she offered links that nicely explain carbon offsets, carbon credits, and personal carbon trading.  Thanks Laurel!